- Jabber Jaw is in the photos for size reference.
- He's about 8.5" tall, 4" wide, and 5" deep.
- He is not a rock.
- He is not for sale, nor does he come with any of the items pictured.
- As far as we know, he is not related to the cartoon shark that plays drums for The Neptunes.
- Extensive searching seems to indicate that he originally captured voice recordings then played them back while moving his mouth.
- Unfortunately, he has not done that, or much of anything, in the time that we've had him.
- In fact, he's mostly held together by super glue (and he's missing a few more teeth) these days.
- Because of that, it would not be safe to keep him out in the open on Public Sale days, no matter how gentle you swear you'll be.
- In case of an emergency, or perhaps retirement, we do have another skull set aside (who still needs a name--suggestions?).
- Barring one of those scenarios, he's not going away, no matter how weird you think he is.
- Primarily, that's because the number of people who love him outnumber the people who dislike him about 3-to-1.
- Although he's not always a pleasure to look at, he's much more fun than a ruler.
- We'll resume the Friday Find-it photo hunts again in the spring.
- And most importantly: Thank you! The people of the Surplus Store are a unique bunch, and you guys make this job fun.
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
January 19th marked the one-year anniversary of when Jabber Jaw started appearing in all of the pictures of Sales Floor items for the social media. In that time, he's received reactions ranging from love to hate to utter confusion. So, not that this is an exhaustive list of answers, but here are some things I've been meaning to say on his behalf: